My friend Xiru mailed me this morning, asking if I had tested BloGTK with CMFWeblog. Well, I hadn’t yet, so it was about time to try it.
First thing that I noticed was that it wouldn’t connect, giving a strange error message (“An error occurred while connecting. Check your settings”). The first thing that I thought was that it could be a problem on the settings I entered, so I go to error_log to check if there was a traceback there. Everything looked OK, so it could be a problem on the client side, maybe caused by a failure on parsing the server response. So, I tried using Shane’s tcpwatch to intercept the communication and see if there was something strange there. Apparently nothing was wrong there either. So, time for a small session with pdb, after all, BloGTK is written in Python!
Stepping through the source revealed that the problem was caused by a KeyError: CMFWeblog was returning blogname in response to blogger.getUserBlogs, but the spec says it should return blogName. Error corrected, now CMFWeblog works with BloGTK too!
And it gets even nicer: If you choose the Movable Type API on the connection settings, you can see a list of available categories that you can post to. Amazing!
BloGTK is very nice, and even has a Preview Post tab that you can click to check how your post will look as HTML, and Spellcheck so you don’t look dumb. The only thing I missed are the tooltips on the toolbar icons. I wonder if they are just missing or broken.
Overall, I liked it though I still prefer my power combo: pyrite+emacs+restructured-text. I recommend BloGTK if you are a occasional blog poster that happens to use Linux and have pygtk2 installed. A bonus if you don’t mind looking through the source and fixing small bugs that may appear.
2 thoughts on “Testing BloGTK with CMFWeblog”
archetypes is gone
Latest archetypes is gone from all the sourceforge mirrors…
BloGTK and CMFWeblog
Thanks for the complements!
I’ll have to email the developers of CMFWeblog, as they should be returning blogName as per the Blogger API specs… http://new.blogger.com/developers/api/1_docs/xmlrpc_getUsersBlogs.html
I have to admit, without the easy development cycle of Python, BloGTK could never have come about.